Sunday, August 14, 2011

Weddings and Goodbyes...Navy Style

Yesterday was a happy and sad day. Two of our friends joined themselves in holy matrimony in a beautiful ceremony at the beach. Luckily for them the rain held out and the ocean tide corroborated. The bride looked stunning in a beautiful off white gown with her hair pulled back into a curly bun with blue flowers pinned on the side and the groom very handsome in a white button down with khakis pants. It was a great wedding. Congratulations to both of them and a lifetime of happiness and joy.

Now to the sad part of the day/evening. One of my very best friends had to say goodbye today. Her husband also a good friend received orders to NY.  As the rain fell and the thunder roared we tearily said goodbye in what seemed like a scene out of a hollywood movie. I said goodbye to the kids first. As we all hugged I felt the tears welling up inside. I gave each one a hug and a kiss and told them to be good and we will see each other again soon. I hugged her husband and told him to take care of them and good luck in everything he does up there. Then came the hardest goodbye of all. As we embraced for our final goodbye we knew the past two years had been hard for both of us. Both being new to a new place and having to find our way through the path of misfriendships and gossip, fights and make-ups but by the end we knew that we could always count on each other. As we hugged we both started to cry like little kids being ripped apart from our favorite toy. It was one of the hardest things to do. Sure I have moved around a lot in my life and saying goodbye is always hard but for some reason I knew that this one was the toughest. She had been my everything for the last two years and now she was gone. As we finally let go and she walked to her car and I walked to mine the rain poured down my face hiding my tears of sadness. I knew in my heart that this was going to be a tough road of goodbyes. The Navy and all military branches like to bring families together then tear them apart after they become close. I know that we will see each other again whether we are stationed in the same place or through iChat or yearly visits but it doesn't hurt any less to be away from people you spent years with. The only thing I can do now is keep myself busy and spend time with the great friends I still have here. I am very blessed to have a few great friends around that no matter what I can trust with anything and for that I am grateful. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment